Cellino was founded by the Basilian monks in the early Middle Ages, whoin this region built a barn, around which grew a rural community. When the Basilian abandoned territories, the village changed many landowners. In 1578 the Albrizzi built the castle that Chyurlia expanded, transforming it into a true princely residence. The name "Cellino" derives from a small cell built by the monks in the village. While San Marco is the saint to whom are dedicated the religious cults of the community.